Tuesday, March 4, 2008

No Way to Avoid the Train if You're on the Right Track at the Right Time

Call it coincidence or lucky if that makes you more comfortable, but I'll tell you it's just the way the universe works. I was in Columbus, OH last week to visit OSU & attend the ICA Fitness Symposium. I hosted a couple of meetings for anyone interested in a Chiropractic career and visited advisors on the campus.

I met Vivian, a student at OSU, the last time I visited OSU's campus. She showed up to a drop-in Coffee & Career Talk that I hosted at Caribou Coffee. Vivian is great - she is that person who lights up the room with her excitement & passion. Through the course of her schooling, she had considered several career options, but none of them seemed to quite fit... until she found Chiropractic.

Vivian has already applied & knows her start date for the Chiropractic program at Life University, but she wanted to see me again just to say hello & find out what new & exciting things I could tell her about the campus. Unfortunately, I received a message from her saying she couldn't attend any of my events because she had just started a new job. I told her that I would check the conference schedule for the weekend & we would try to work something out.

Thursday evening, after trekking around OSU's campus for a day & a half, I arrived at the event hotel for the Fitness Symposium. I thought about curling up in my room & ordering in, but decided that the opportunity to network while eating at the hotel restaurant was a better option. I was tired, over-hungry, and not quite all together. As I approached the host stand, I found myself staring at the woman behind it.

Do you ever have that moment when you know that something or someone is familiar, but you can't quite place them because they're not in the context that you know them from?

The woman was watching me... and then we smiled at the same time. It was Vivian!

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine."

There is no way to avoid the train if you're on the right track at the right time.

No comments: