Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Increased Opportunity = Decreased Involvement ???

I've been on the road again visiting schools in MI. (Ok, I know you're more surprised when I actually tell you that I'm in Georgia.) Most of my contact have been with advisors, and two of them in particular, although at different schools, have repeated this to me almost verbatim.


"... Unfortunately, with the number of students at our school (28,000+ at one & 40,000+ at the other), we're not very closely involved with the students and they tend not to seek us out. The internet is their easiest source of information. In some cases they come up with more information than I could have given them, and at other times, they become even more lost in the multitude of choices."

I'm not a student anymore, but I do have to research schools and try to figure out who the departments and people are who would be the most helpful in connecting me to students and students to Chiropractic. Seriously, I understand - it's a nightmare in some places. One school I visited had 6 different departments that ALL dealt with advising science-based majors or career options.

Six!

And to make matters worse, those 6 departments were completely disconnected from each other & not even aware of what services the other departments offered.

I'm not writing about this to discourage you from seeking out advising services. Exactly the opposite - when there are so many choices, you need to be even more diligent in collecting enough information to make an INFORMED DECISION.

Think about the impact that could have in all aspects of your life - your education & career choices (look back at my post on the student who saved an entire semester b/c she finally connected with one of Life's advisors), your health care options, and even the small choice of looking at the ingredients on the package before consuming the food.

Be proactive, be persistent, don't be afraid to ask, gather all the information... then decide.

So if you can't find the advisor on your campus, or you're not even on a campus, contact an Admissions Advisor at Life University. 770-426-2884

No comments: